Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - January 1 to January 31, 2011
All in the Family
Nobody wanted to be there. Not even one person. However, they were all there, and in a strange way, glad they were.
It was the waiting room of the Neuro Trauma Intensive Care Unit (NTICU) at Memorial Hermann Hospital, one of only two 'Level One Trauma Hospitals' in Houston, Texas and Memorial Hermann Hospital was the site of last summer's ABC medical drama entitled 'Houston Medical.'
When a person is critically injured, when one's life is hanging in the balance due to some traumatic event - the family should always attempt to see to it that it's injured loved one goes to a Level One Trauma Unit, if it's possible.
The families in the waiting room of the NTICU almost always appear to be petrified because they know, at any moment, a physician might enter the unit and tell them, 'I am very sorry. We tried everything possible, however . . .'
The first few days, as a rule, the families keep to themselves. However, as time passes by, the families usually get to know each other - they share the joy when there is good news for a family, and they also share their sorrow when there is poor news for a family. The Unit's many families become a 'support group' for each other.
I have seen it often. As one of the social workers for the hospital I understand the dynamics of hope and the importance of support. I have seen families volunteer to take a family from out-of-town to their homes so that they could rest and shower. I have also seen strangers pray for the recovery of someone whom they did not even know 24 hours earlier.
There are many 'miraculous' stories about the families in the NTICU. Unfortunately, there are also many times when there is not 'a happy ending.'
On one occasion, a young man was severely hurt and suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury and was rushed to our hospital. For days, his prognosis was in doubt. His mother was always in the waiting room and I am sure she experienced a roller coaster of emotions, and of course, she breathed a huge sigh of relief when the doctors gave her reason to hope.
Then she saw another mother in the waiting room whose daughter had not been given that hopeful prognosis. The daughter, she was told by the doctors, would probably soon pass away as a result of the severe injuries that she had sustained in a car accident.
The two mothers were soon linked together, strangers joined forever by a universal magnet - motherly pain. They became very close, supporting each other in both good and bad times. Ironically, the predictions for the two mothers were eventually reversed. The young man who was supposed to survive, unfortunately passed away, while the girl who was supposed to die is now making progress in Florida, in her home.
Families in the waiting room can eventually develop very close relationships and begin to care for each other. For example, there were two patients - one elderly gentleman and the other a teenager, who had been in the Unit for quite some time. Their families got to know each other, and became close.
The parents of the teenager were always at the hospital, night and day. But, one night, the teenager's mother returned to her home while his father remained in the waiting room. The next morning she returned to the hospital and said to the wife of the elderly patient, who regularly remained at the hospital night and day, 'I was worried about you all night.'
The elderly woman responded, 'I figured you were worried because last night I was sleeping with your husband in the waiting room and I wouldn't have missed it for the world!'
Everyone burst out in deep laughter. Humour can be a great coping mechanism.
Yes, life can be very difficult. However, it can also be tempered if one has a support system to help and assist during those strenuous and exacting moments.
Support is very important - especially in the waiting room.
Written by Michael Segal
Michael Jordan Segal who defied all odds after being shot in the head, is a husband, father, social worker and freelance author who has produced a CD of 12 stories entitled 'Possible' and is now working on his autobiography. He is also an inspirational speaker who shares his recipe for happiness, recovery and success at conferences and for businesses. For Mike's contact details please visit . . . Positive Inspirational Links >>>
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Fatherís Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Yearís Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action