Grace Murray Hopper
Positive Inspirational Stories
I marvel at the way God knows when to send a special gift of encouragement to us, at just the right time! It might be in a dream, a lost letter, a memory, something found that we'd forgotten about, or something in His Word during a devotional that really speaks to us.
My Grandmother was from a town in the thumb area of Michigan. Summer after summer I enjoyed staying with my grandparents as a young child. I was from the City and loved the small town they lived in. People knew everyone, their kids, their pets, their ancestors. The bond with them continued to grow as I grew and got older.
Grandma was always using her hands for something exciting ... she would make little sandwiches and we'd have tea parties, she'd plant flowers and carefully tend them. She'd knit afghans for her grandchildren as well as making beautiful quilts for each one. I remember the small thimble she would use while doing her needle work. Placing her thimble on her finger she'd remark .... 'I wouldn't want to sew without one.'
A few years ago when Grandma left this earth for her new residence in Heaven, I bid farewell to a loving Grandmother... How quickly our lives can change. We had just had tea together a couple of months earlier, on her 91st birthday. I missed her very much, but I noticed it mostly on a birthday, as there was no card from Grandma. She'd never forgotten my birthday!
On one particular birthday when I was feeling a little low and a lot older... something happened to make me feel like she was sharing that special day with me. I was arranging some colorful pillows that she had made, and suddenly I felt something inside one pillow, it was small and hard. I moved the object to a seam that I carefully opened, and to my delight out came a tiny silver thimble!
How happy I was to find something that had been a part of her. Not realizing it had fallen off her finger, I pictured her s! ewing it in that little pillow that I just 'happened' to fluff, to place on my bedspread that day. I carefully laid the thimble along side the others I've collected over the years, where I could continue to see the gift God chose to reveal to me.
What a precious memory of a very special lady who somehow, I knew, was laughing in delight at sewing her thimble inside my pillow. I heated the tea kettle and made some tea, using my best china, as Grandma always did, and enjoyed my tea and Grandma's thimble. What a wonderful birthday that was!
Written by Diane Dean White
Diane is a freelance writer and author. She has shared her stories with a wide range of publications as well as websites online. She is married to Stephen and they are the parents of three grown children and three grand-gals. They make their home on the Carolina Coast. Diane is the author of Beach Walks and recently released Carolina in the Morning, a moving Christian story set in present day near Charleston, SC; introducing adventure, history and romance into the lives of some unsuspecting visitors. To read more, please visit Diane's website at . . . Seeds of Encouragement >>>
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Fatherís Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Yearís Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner