Norman Vincent Peale
Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - May 1 to May 31, 2009
A Mother's Job
A mother was asked by an officious clerk, 'What is your occupation?'
She had dedicated herself to the raising of her children and felt that, though she was not financially compensated for her labour, her 'job' was of utmost importance. Besides, she resented it when people said she was 'Just a housewife.'
So she told the clerk that she was a 'Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.'
Duly impressed, the clerk asked her what she did in her field.
This is how the mother replied:
'I have a continuing program of research (what mother doesn't?) in the laboratory and in the field. (Normally I would have said indoors and out.)
I'm working for my Masters (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day (24 is more like it).
But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are in satisfaction rather than just money.'
Who can argue? I have been employed in meaningful and challenging careers. And though my own work has required years of study and training, the job that I feel is the most demanding (and rewarding), is that of parenting my children. And the most crucial.
One young woman said, 'Mum, I'll always love you, but I'll never forgive you for cleaning my face with spit on a hanky!'
But you have to appreciate mothers. Like a Spanish proverb says, 'An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy.'
And a member of the clergy put it like this: 'My mother practices what I preach.'
The job is one of the most difficult there is, but still remains popular. I think that may be because, though many jobs are important, none is more so.
Written by Steve Goodier
Steve Goodier publishes This is Your Life Support System, a free e-newsletter sharing life, love and laughter. For Steveís contact details please visit . . . Positive Inspirational Links >>>
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Don't Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like a Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exhange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Fatherís Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others