Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - October 1st to October 31st 2012
'I hate this time of the year,' she said.
I was surprised to hear that from her. Her smile is the welcome we all would love to see at the beginning and end of the day. She's happy. She usually finds hope in the hopeless.
So, hearing this today set me back. I connect with people like her and depend on them to get me through. I call them 'spiritual lighthouses,' small beacons of light on my journey.
I hoped this was just a bump in the road for her. People, who are optimistic and positive have bad days, too.
'What's wrong?' I asked.
She wouldn't look at me. She knew why I was asking this. She heard what I was hearing beyond the words spoken.
'I walked into my garden and everything was dying,' she replied.
'What's in your garden?' I asked.
'Flowers. Beautiful, fragrant flowers.'
'For the most part.'
'Who is responsible for their dying?'
She was quiet for a moment and then turning toward me, said, I took very good care of them.'
'I'm sure you did.'
'So, who's responsible?'
She didn't answer.
'It is the same source that gave them life and the promise of rebirth. The life that is there in dying. It is our charge, therefore to see the life in every death. The annuals are like the things of the world. They are here and gone. But we are God's perennials. What is given to us is more valuable than what we take. Your caring for the garden is an example of how we should live. If you want to see love, give it. If you want to see hope, give hope. If you want to see life, give life,' I said.
I saw my friend today. She was smiling. On her desk, in a vase, was the last rose of summer.
When she looked at me I said, 'Plant annually, believe perennially.'
Written by Bob Perks
Bob Perks is a professional speaker, author, vocalist and member of the National Speakers Association.
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Fatherís Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Yearís Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action
- The Road to Significance and Success
- The real purpose of your life
- With leadership its the little things that matter