Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - October 1 to October 27, 2007I Got Back on My Seat
It had coaster brakes and only one gear. My two older brothers used it before me. The twenty-inch, black frame showed its age. It was scratched and nicked from years of use, but I didn't care. It was mine now.
My tricycle stood by the front steps of our house - forgotten. In the front yard, I held the handlebars, swung my right leg over and settled myself onto the seat. My legs weren't long enough for both to touch the ground at the same time. I leaned to one side - one foot supported me. I looked around, made sure no one was watching and kicked off. My feet reached for the pedals and began to pump.
After a few wobbly yards, I fell off, and landed on my shoulder in the grass. I jumped up, brushed myself off, got back on and fell again.
A week later, I rode in circles around the yard, always to the left. I didn't wobble or fall. I was steady, as I followed the beaten trail I'd created in the grass. The wind created by my movement cooled my sweat stained face.
I was free and I was flying.
'Michael!' Mum called. 'Supper is ready!'
I turned toward the front steps, wobbled and fell to the ground. I didn't know how to go straight or to the right. I'd learned to travel in circles to the left.
One day I became brave. 'Mum, I'm going to take my bike to Grand Mum's.'
'Are you sure?' she asked.
'I can do it, Mum.'
Grand Mum lived at the bottom of a short hill from our house. I'd walk there often, but when I sat on my bike at the top of that hill, it seemed much higher than I remembered.
I put my feet in the pedals and started to roll. My speed increased. I pushed back on the pedals, braking to a halt, stepped off and walked my bike to the bottom. On level ground, I got back on my bike and pedalled to Grand Mum's.
'Did you see me, Grand Mum? I brought my bicycle! Did you see me?'
Grand Mum hugged me. 'I saw you, Michael. You did well, but I saw you walk your bike down the hill. It's scary not having control, but you'll get it right. You're getting so big. When you're older, you'll be bicycling all over the place. I'm proud of you.'
'Do you have any muffins?' I asked.
She laughed. 'You know where they are.'
I ran to her pantry. In the cupboard was a plate filled with fresh baked muffins, smothered in pink icing - my favorite.
Grand Mum was right. I did learn to go left, right and straight. A year later, I was bicycling all around the neighbourhood.
At twenty years old, I left home and cried. It was a lonely time in my life. Mum wasn't there. It was time to learn how to turn again.
I married and became a Dad - I stumbled. There was someone else to think about - new turns to stumble through.
I've floundered through life. When I thought I had it right, life pushed me in another direction. I've wobbled, stumbled and fallen. Each time I fell, I got up, brushed myself off and turned around the obstacle.
Each time I think I'm on a straight road, life throws a turn in front of me. I may fall, but I always climb back on my seat.
Written by Michael T. Smith
Michael is a writer in his spare time and believes in sharing a smile, a wave, a kind word and a tear. He lives with beautiful wife Ginny in Idaho and works as a project manager in telecommunications when he is not writing. His life experiences have given him a special heart that shows in his writing. For Mike's contact details and to subscribe to his free Hearts and Humour newsletter, please visit . . . Positive Inspirational Links >>>
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Fatherís Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Yearís Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action