Positive Inspirational Stories
October 2019 - Featured Inspirational Story
Clementine - My Very First Dog
Every once in a while, someone comes into your life and leaves a lasting impression on you. Whether they are in your life for 20 minutes or 20 years, they completely change you.
A Basset Hound named Clementine came into my life on June 9, 1987. I was 9 years old. My parents and I bought her from a local breeding family who was selling her because a difficult birth required her to be spayed.
I was so excited! My very first pet! I had laid out a blanket near the back door complete with a treat and doggie toy. Clementine went right for the treat!
There were never any dull moments with Clementine. She became famous in our family for having eaten a loaf of bread and half of a chocolate cake but the most memorable incident was when she ate a bowl of Hershey Kisses . . . foil and all which required an emergency trip to the vet.
Clementine was always doing the funniest things. One evening during supper, she sat down right beside my father and just stared at him. She wasn't even blinking! Another time, Clementine began sniffing behind the toilet and got stuck! It took a lot of pulling and grunting but we did manage to free her!
Clementine was very affectionate and protective. She always knew when there was something wrong and she always tried to make things better. I remember coming home from school sick. I laid on the couch with Clementine's chin on my knee.
Like any other animal owner, we considered Clementine a member of our family. There was nothing we wouldn't do for her.
In mid-1995, Clementine began having trouble breathing and developed a hacking cough. After numerous tests it was discovered her heart was enlarged. Nothing more could be done.
For the next two years, we put our lives on hold. Clementine was our number one priority. Family didn't see us much but thankfully they understood.
In September 1997, Clementine was running around our backyard and had a heart attack. She managed to crawl back in the house and lay down behind the coffee table where she died shortly after. She was 12.
Mom and Dad had experienced the loss of a pet before but I never had. I was 20 years old and it felt like a part of me had died. I must have cried every day for two weeks.
I have had two dogs since Clementine. I had a Beagle/Jack Russell terrier mix named Daisy who I was also blessed to have in my life for 12 years and I currently have a Shih-Tzu named Echo who is 9.
If you are considering getting a dog, I highly recommend it. Yes, you will become emotionally attached but it's worth it. Trust me.
Written by Amy Temple
Amy is an American freelance writer/blogger specializing in non-fictional inspiration writing. Amy is a resident of Orlando, Florida and also self-employed as a dog sitter.
She writes regularly for many blogs and websites including seethegood.info, justsuminspiration, sparrowfoot, theencyclopedian, gratisoul and the Learning Disabilities Association's newsletter LD Source. In May 2017, Amy self-published a memoir titled 'I Am Not Stupid' about living with learning disabilities and is available through Amazon. You can contact Amy at . . . firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Inspirational Stories
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Father's Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Year's Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action
- The Road to Significance and Success
- The real purpose of your life
- With leadership its the little things that matter
- The Obstacle in our Path
- Good deeds no matter how small can change the world for someone
- Accepting responsibility has its rewards
- An Inspiring Thanksgiving
- The Ever-Flowing Spiral of Love
- Clementine - My Very First Dog
- The Little Nail
- His Greatest Treasure
- Their love comes with no strings and has no boundaries
- Three Simple Words that Change Everything
- Thank You
- Moral Courage - The Engine of Integrity