Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - March 1 to March 30, 2008
Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
'I just got back from the gift exchange,' she said.
'Did someone give you something you didn't want?' I asked.
'No, not at all. I got more than I thought I would,' she replied.
'So you had too many gifts?' I asked.
'Oh, no. You could never get too many,' she said so seriously.
'Then, I'm confused. You were returning a gift that you received and didn't want because you had more than you could use, but never enough of whatever it was," I said. Of course I had no idea what I just said, but it was what I heard.
'No. I wasn't returning anything. I was giving it away,' she said.
I felt like I was watching an episode of 'I Love Lucy' with Ricky Ricardo and Lucille Ball.
'Let's start over. Where were you?' I asked.
'I went to the nursing home. I volunteer to visit people there,' she said.
'You said you went to the gift exchange.'
'Oh, I see your problem. That's what I call it, the 'Gift Exchange' - I go to the nursing home to spend time with some of the most fascinating people. I'm only in my 40s. These people are in their 70s, 80s and older. They have so much to offer. Their stories are special gifts to me. Their life experience and lessons are so incredibly valuable. I learn so much from them,' she said.
'So, that is the gift exchange?' I asked.
'Yes, I give them my time, they teach me about life.'
What an incredible way to look at it. All these years that I have been writing, all these people that I have met along the way were all a part of the 'Gift Exchange.'
Why not join us. Take time to speak to someone at the Mall today. Make time to stop and say "hello" to someone in your neighbourhood. Attend a church function and meet new people. Visit a local nursing home. Phone someone.
You have so much to give and so much more to get.
The 'Gift Exchange' is open 24 hours a day.
Written by Bob Perks
Bob Perks is a professional speaker, author, vocalist and member of the National Speakers Association.
- Inspirational Stories
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Father's Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Year's Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action
- The Road to Significance and Success
- The real purpose of your life
- With leadership its the little things that matter
- The Obstacle in our Path
- Good deeds no matter how small can change the world for someone
- Accepting responsibility has its rewards
- An Inspiring Thanksgiving
- The Ever-Flowing Spiral of Love
- Clementine - My Very First Dog
- The Little Nail
- His Greatest Treasure
- Their love comes with no strings and has no boundaries
- Three Simple Words that Change Everything