William Arthur Ward
Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - February 2005
Enjoy Your Nectarine
. . . . and remember genuine service and quality product builds a great business
I live in an area where there a number of what can be described as the traditional family run corner stores. From my perspective, the success and viability of the corner store business is totally dependent on good product, good service and convenience combined with great people working behind and in front of the counter. In recent years there has been a resurgence in the corner store business, mainly because many of us are now extremely time poor and need convenience when we shop. Enough of the background, now to my story.
Within walking distance of my home is a unique corner store business. It is owned and run by a local family and it offers a variety of general groceries and convenience items, plus some really great 'cooked on the premises' food that you can take home, heat up and eat plus a sensational selection of really good quality fruit and vegetables.
For the last three years I have been a regular customer and mainly for one product - fresh red apples, which I have then given away at the conclusion of training and workshop programs I have conducted on delivering exceptional customer service. Over that time, I estimate that I have purchased in excess of 1500 apples from this corner store because they always have fresh, crunchy, quality red apples with no bruises and dints in them. I am sure you would not be surprised when I tell you that in all that time, I have not had a bad apple.
What has always amazed me about this business is that often just as I am about to leave, the father who the business is named after, presents me with a fresh piece of fruit, such as a nectarine. Just before this happens, I usually see him out of the corner of my eye go over to the fruit section - pick out a piece of fruit, give it the once over and an affectionate polish on his apron, then with a big smile on his face - he offers it to me with his compliments. Now call this what you wish, I see this gesture as a simple expression of appreciation for my business and that he wants to make his customers feel good. The pay off is that I keep coming back to shop not just for the great apples and the free piece of fresh fruit, but because he makes me feel extra special and appreciated.
Nick's Quality Fruit Supply in Narraweena is owned and run by Nick (the father), Maggie (his daughter) and the other members of the family. They always smile, acknowledge and talk to their customers in a warm and friendly manner and as you would expect they know most of their customers by their first name, including me.
I am sure that Nick, Maggie and all the family also know instinctively that if you treat your customers with genuine courtesy and respect, do the little things very well, appreciate them, offer them the best quality product and are always pleased to be of service - you will create a very successful business and they have.
So what is the message behind this story - when you have your business running with all the right ingredients in place and working well, you have time to do the extra little things that make your customers feel special and talk about you!
Put simply, when we get it all going right, then we can deliver the nectarines in our business
Written by Keith Ready - Inspired by Maggie and her family
Since writing this story in 2005, Maggie and her family have retired and the business is no longer trading, however, they will be well remembered by the local community as very special people and great retailers.
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like a Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exhange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Fatherís Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters