Positive Inspirational Stories
August and September 2019 - Featured Inspirational Story
An Inspiring Thanksgiving
Something strange happened when I was 14 years old. Every previous year on Thanksgiving Day I'd woken up early, filled with excitement, unable to wait for the turkey and gravy, stuffing and greens, pumpkin pie with pecans, and my grandma's famous cheesecake.
But this Thanksgiving, I couldn't find the magic anymore. For some reason the holiday seemed fake. I suddenly felt like Thanksgiving was a big lie. I saw no reason to celebrate.
As my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandma started to arrive carrying plates of food, baskets of bread, and pitchers of egg nog, I grew more and more angry and frustrated. None of them were really thankful, I realized. The whole thing was a lie!
When my mom called for everyone to take their seats for dinner, I left. I ran into the guest room where no one would look and collapsed against the futon, crying. I was defiant because I wanted to be an honest person but I was realizing that Thanksgiving was inauthentic. It didn't feel right to participate.
My mom, worried that I was absent from the table, came to see what was wrong. 'No one is really thankful!' I sobbed, 'They just pretend for one day because that's what you're supposed to do!'
My mom sat down next to me on the futon and listened wisely until I was done. Then she nodded. 'You're right,' she told me, 'it's fake until you find the truth for yourself.' She said it was my choice whether to celebrate with them or not. She said Thanksgiving was a time to reflect because we don't always get to see loved ones and eat a good meal. Then she left.
I didn't listen to her. I was convinced that every holiday was a hoax and I could never find joy celebrating again. But I was also starving and I had to eat something, so after a few minutes I went back to the dining room.
And I couldn't believe what I saw.
Waiting for me, with wide smiles, was my entire extended family and a table covered with untouched plates. At first, I was confused. I wondered why no one was digging into their carefully-constructed meals.
That's when I noticed that everyone was looking at me with concern.
'Andy,' my aunt said, 'We can't eat without you. It's your turn.'
Suddenly I realized they wanted me to be a part of the tradition of going around the table and sharing what made us all thankful. I didn't know what to say. But I had to say something. Finally, I said I was thankful for having a younger brother to teach, play with, and see grow.
The family shared, and everyone had something beautiful to say. Listening, I suddenly understood what my mom meant about needing to come up with my own reason for celebrating. For me, this holiday was a chance to pause and reflect on everything I cared about. That was worth celebrating.
And with that, I took a huge and satisfying bite of food.
Written by Andy Earle
Andy is a researcher who studies parent-teen communication and adolescent risk behaviors. He is the co-founder of talkingtoteens.com and host of the Talking to Teens podcast, a free weekly talk show for parents of teenagers. Learn more about Andy and his work at . . . Andy's Profile >>>
Andy has also created a very special list of 19 Inspirational Quotes for Teens which can be viewed at . . . 19 Inspirational Quotes for Teens >>>
- Inspirational Stories
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Father's Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Year's Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action
- The Road to Significance and Success
- The real purpose of your life
- With leadership its the little things that matter
- The Obstacle in our Path
- Good deeds no matter how small can change the world for someone
- Accepting responsibility has its rewards
- An Inspiring Thanksgiving
- The Ever-Flowing Spiral of Love
- Clementine - My Very First Dog
- The Little Nail
- His Greatest Treasure
- Their love comes with no strings and has no boundaries
- Three Simple Words that Change Everything
- Thank You
- Moral Courage - The Engine of Integrity
- The Person in a Different Skin
- Believe In Your Ideas
- I'll Never Complain Again
- You Are Wonderful!
- The Value of Knowledge
- Living In Gratitude
- No Regrets
- The words we love to hear